Skip to main content

The end / Reflecting on a month of daily blogging: the freedom of structure

At the beginning of September I decided to give Cassy Fry's DIY Creative Club challenge a go. A creative response, everyday, to a prompt:


Looking through the prompts I knew some I would find easy, on motivation and happiness, but most could stump me, and definitely be out of my comfort zone.

I've just come to the end of the challenge, and I can't quite believe that I actually stuck to it. I might have missed a few days but I still kept with it. I completed the challenge. And I loved it!

I've felt stuck in a rut with this blog. All the while my life had difficulties I could share and stigmas I could tackle, I was writing. But I didn't want to do that anymore. I didn't feel like I had to.

I've barely written this year and I'd got to thinking I couldn't write anything other than being on a soapbox spouting anger or hope.

So to write simply responding to a pre-set prompt was a bit of a revelation. Turns out I have other life experiences to talk about. And I could be a bit creative!

It was so nice and so freeing to be confined to this structure. As contradictory as that sounds.

Often I'd think I had no response at all, and then it would just appear.

It was also freeing sharing things that I wouldn't have otherwise. Pieces that would have stayed as drafts, with anxiety about how good they were, or what they were, or why anyone would care.

And I'm not saying all of this has been great, but it's been worthwhile - for me. To write outside of struggles, and sentences, and having to prove a point. It's been exposing in a different way - letting myself be creative. Forsaking changing people's minds for playfulness, for creativity for its own sake.

So if you want to read my responses, here they are:
Back to schoolHopeThrowbackInto The WildDanceLight & Dark (waking up after passing out)ToolsLoveSuperpowerNow PlayingDisguiseCollageMotivationDramaDream / WeirdMagicInspirationStyleHappiness / SparkleFull moonPoetry / The End (this is it!)

And a huge thanks to Cassy Fry for putting this challenge together. Sign up to her DIY Creative Club mailing list for more good ideas and playlists and general inspiration from this lovely lady!

Comments